Land surface processes and landscape dynamics
This course will provide you with in-depth and applied knowledge of Earth's landscapes. You will learn about the processes by which landscapes evolve and change in different climate and space scales. The course focuses on:
- the Earth's surface landforms
- the Earths's origin and development
- human impact on the landscape dynamics and lasting changes
You will mainly study Nordic conditions, but tropical and subtropical environments are also treated.
Specific elements involved in the course are:
- landscape and landscape forms
- land formation processes and their links to climate and anthropogenic factors
- the role of geomorphological processes in landscape dynamics
- natural resource planning
- land management
- land degradation and landscape changes in a local, regional and global perspective
The course consists of lectures, practicals , field exercises , seminars, group work and project work.
Note that the course includes a longer field trip to a country outside Europe. The last couple of years joint fieldwork has been carried out in Uganda, together with students from Makerere University, Kampala.