Studying the Earth, Climate and Ecosystems
The Department of Physical Geography and Ecosystem Science at Lund University is dedicated to interdisciplinary studies of environmental and climate systems in local and global perspectives. We are also strong in Geographical Information Science. Our education offers the overview of how the Earth, the climate and ecosystems interact, as well as the aspect of society, and important tools for environmental management and rural and urban planning.
The width of our subject is a great advantage for example if you:
- want to understand complex processes such as climate change and global environmental systems
- want to learn how environmental change may impact human societies
- want to learn GIS, geographical information systems, remote sensing and other very useful tools in environmental monitoring and management
Field trips, laboratory work and lectures
As a student of the department, you will be part of an international environment among both staff and students. Education is often a mix of short and longer field trips, computer laborations, lectures, projects and seminars.
Job market for physical geographers
The programme offers training suitable for a wide range of professional roles. These could be, for instance
- work with climate and water issues
- nature conservation and planning
- environment and climate strategic work
- handling of data and development of analytical methods
- doctoral studies and research