Land surface processes and landscape dynamics
This course will provide you with in-depth and applied knowledge of Earth's landscapes. You will learn about the processes by which landscapes evolve and change in different climate and space scales. The course focuses on:
- the Earth's surface landforms
- the Earths's origin and development
- human impact on the landscape dynamics and lasting changes
You will mainly study Nordic conditions, but tropical and subtropical environments are also treated.
Specific elements involved in the course are:
- landscape and landscape forms
- land formation processes and their links to climate and anthropogenic factors
- the role of geomorphological processes in landscape dynamics
- natural resource planning
- land management
- land degradation and landscape changes in a local, regional and global perspective
The course consists of lectures, practicals , field exercises , seminars, group work and project work.
Note that the course includes a longer field trip to a country outside Europe. The last couple of years joint fieldwork has been carried out in Uganda and Rwanda, together with local students.
- Mc’Knights Physical Geography - A landscape appreciation, av D. Hess, Morgan, R., P., C.: (2005). Soil Erosion and Conservation, 3rdedition. Blackwell Publ. Ltd. Oxford. UK. ISBN 978-1-4051-1781-4
- Sveriges geologi från urtid till nutid, av M. Lindström m.fl.
- Vattnets väg från regn till bäck, av H. Grip och A. Rodhe
- Sveriges Nationalatlas: Atlas över Skåne, av T. Germundsson och P. Schlyter
- Sveriges Nationalatlas: Västra Götaland, av B. Frizell och M. Werner
- Reports and papers distributed during the course
Course facts: NGEA09
Credits: 15 ECTS
Period: Spring, period 1
Language of instruction: English
Prerequisites: General admission requirements and 120 ECTS scientific studies including:
- NGEA01(Introduction to the global environment)
- NGEA07 (Theory and methods of physical geography)
- NGEA04 (Ecosystem analysis)
- NGEA21 (The Climate system)
- NGEA11 (Geographic information systems)
- NGEA03 (Remote sensing for landscape
or the equivalent.