Spatial Data Infrastructure
The course can only be taken as part of the distance learning Master´s program in GIS. This is an internet based course.
In this course, you will explore theoretical and practical concepts of Spatial Data Infrastructures (SDIs). You will study fundamental concepts of SDI and the important factors that affect the development of SDI. Furthermore, techniques for design, implementation, management, and evaluation of SDIs will be explored. This course also includes practical and theoretical exercises relevant to current status of spatial data management and sharing, development of clearinghouse networks, SDI evaluation, and spatial enabled-society.
The following topics are included in the course:
- Existing status for spatial data.
- SDI components and their nature.
- Factors that influence the SDI development
- Clearinghouses of different generations.
- Inter-operability and International standards for these.
- Introduction to service composition.
- Cartographic aspects of geo-portals.
- SDI modelling and evaluation.
- The spatial activated the society ("spatial-enabled society")
Teaching consists of lectures and practical exercises that you will submit to the teachers. The course ends with a written exam. This is an internet based course. You do not need to physically travel to Lund in order to attend.
Course facts: GISN25
Credits: 5 ECTS
Period: Flexible, depending on study pace ( 50 % or 100 %).
Language of instruction: English
Prerequisites: General admission requirements and 90 ECTS, including 30 ECTS in GIS, equivalent to GISA21 and GISA22
Technical prerequisites: PC with Windows 7 or better; Internet connection