Land surface processes and landscape dynamics
This course will provide you with in-depth and applied knowledge of Earth's landscapes. You will learn about the processes by which landscapes evolve and change in different climate and space scales. The course focuses on:
- the Earth's surface landforms
- the Earths's origin and development
- human impact on the landscape dynamics and lasting changes
You will mainly study Nordic conditions, but tropical and subtropical environments are also treated.
Specific elements involved in the course are:
- landscape and landscape forms
- land formation processes and their links to climate and anthropogenic factors
- the role of geomorphological processes in landscape dynamics
- natural resource planning
- land management
- land degradation and landscape changes in a local, regional and global perspective
The course consists of lectures, practicals , field exercises , seminars, group work and project work.
Note that the course includes a longer field trip to a country outside Europe. The last couple of years joint fieldwork has been carried out in Uganda, together with students from Makerere University, Kampala. Since this activity includes financial contribution from you as a student, alternatives are offered.