GIS and Remote Sensing with focus on the Environment
This course introduces you to Geographical Information systems (GIS) and Remote Sensing (aerial- and satellite images) and how they can be applied within environmental monitoring.
In this course you will obtain practical experience in:
- basic tools in GIS
- how geographical data are structured
- interpreting aerial photographs and satellite data, in particular regarding vegetation
- how to analyse spatial phenomena and visualise results through maps
- supervised classification of multi-spectral satellite data
- analyse time-series of satellite data to asses change through time
After finishing the course you will have basic knowledge of some of the most important tools in GIS. You will understanding electro-magnetic radiation theories and the influence of the atmosphere. You will have knowledge of aerial photographs and stereo interpretation, as well as know classification possibilities of digital satellite data. You will also know about different methods to capture geographic data and how this is input in a GIS.
Teaching consists of lectures, computerbased group exercises, field data collection and project work.